No, this is not a story of the adventures of Lenny. Rather, many Classic Car owners are faced with the age old problem of storage for their pride and joy, until warm weather reappears. Two of the big problems facing a car during the storage period, are Mice and Mold or mildew.
Mold is a pretty ugly entry into the interior that can ruin any future driving experiences. Sometimes by sickening odors, and in bad cases, by unhealthy contaminates. It is far easier to prevent mold or mildew, than it is to remove it. Ultimately, storing your car in a climate controlled environment with plenty of clean air circulating, is the best. Baring that, inside with little moisture and some air circulation helps. Moisture absorbing products, such as those found at the boat store, are very effective.
What if you already have mold or a mildew problem? Well, a proper cleaning is the best way to begin. A thorough treatment, either by an Ozone generator or with an aerosol anti-fungal, seems to be effective in eliminating mold.
There are a few good Detailers and Mold Specialist companies who can help eradicate the Mold problem in your Porsche. You might also try a product from Biocide Labs, (www.biocidelabs.com) an aerosol product. Wear a good mask and follow the technician’s instructions on the use of this product.
OF MICE – the little four-legged creatures who love to take up residence in your vehicle. They nest in your seats, eat your electrical wires, and other unpleasant things.
I once was told that the soap “Irish Spring” worked better. So, I went out and bought all the Irish Spring on the shelves and put 2 or 3 bars in each car. Well, the mice love Irish Spring either as a snack or for Sunday dinner. None of the bars were left next spring – only the typical droppings!
The best mouse protection is to keep your vehicle inside an area that is mouse proof. I have heard and seen all sorts of “mouse proof” areas. Working with a tight as possible garage, and using and checking good old snap traps regularly, is a pretty darn good approach. I don’t recommend mouse poison bait. A lot of the bait ends up inside your car before it kills the mouse. Other things, like moth balls, herbal concoctions, soap, commercial sprays, powders and gels help, but are not in the 75% or better “sure fire effective” area. I would say they can’t hurt.
Pretty good results seem to be coming from the Electronic Repellents, or ultra sound generators, that plug into the outlets in your garage. The newer ones hook up to your car battery and install inside your car. They go where ever your car goes. They are a low draw, so should not result in a dead battery. However; a battery tender for long un-used periods would be a good addition.
If you have a few good ideas, or things you know will solve the “mouse” problem, send them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will share them in our next eLetter.